A cause and effect diagram is used to show the relationship between an effect and numerous causes. This page shows how to create a cause and effect diagram (or fishbone diagram).
- Select “Fishbone” from the “Cause and Effect” panel on the SPC for Excel ribbon.
- A blank fishbone diagram is inserted into a new worksheet. You may change the default headings that are in the worksheet.
- Enter the problem or goal at the head of the fishbone.
- There are two buttons: Add Item and Add Sub Items
- Selecting either one produces the following input screen (the sub item input will say “Enter sub item”)
- Enter the cause. For example, you might enter “Calibration Not Done” as new item. Select OK. The entry appears as a text box and is selected. Drag the entry to where you want it on the cause and effect diagram (e.g., to Measurement.)
- For a sub item, select Add Sub Item and enter the cause (e.g., Not Trained). A sub item is placed in a text box that is at a diagonal. Drag the sub item below the item it belongs to.